Want a Promotion in 2021? Try These 15 (Free) Courses that Helped Professionals Like You Get Promoted
Vice President of Marketing, LinkedIn Learning and Glint
February 2, 2021
We are one month into the new year and for many of us, it’s performance review season. Now is the ideal time to take the next step in your career. Where do you start? Consider taking one small step toward your goal and take a course.
We looked at the tens of thousands of people promoted in 2020 and identified the LinkedIn Learning courses they took leading up to their promotion. They watched courses on soft skills to help them learn how to lead and mentor others, transition into a people management role, lead without formal authority, and increase focus.
Professionals promoted last year also brushed up on hard skills that are required for roles across software development, project management, and sales—jobs that are the most in-demand in today’s economy according to research by LinkedIn and Microsoft.
The data shows that taking courses on stepping into management and honing technical skills related to your role can help give you an edge and get you to that next level. Take the next step in your career by watching a few of the 15 courses below. Check them out for free until February 28th.
Soft skills to help you get promoted
Learn how to transition to management and stand out as a leader in your organization with the soft skill courses that newly promoted LinkedIn members watched more than other professionals. For example, professionals that were recently promoted watched Make the Move from Individual Contributor to Manager 5x more than the average learner! Watch this one and the other four courses below for free for a limited time.
- Make the Move from Individual Contributor to Manager with Carolyn Goerner—Learn strategies that will help you focus on the broader success of the team, including how to manage former peers, initiate difficult conversations, delegate work, talk about money, discuss performance, and more.
- New Manager Foundations with Todd Dewett—get practical advice to help you establish your identity as a leader, connect with your team, and become a successful first-time manager.
- Leading without Formal Authority with Elizabeth (McLeod) Lotardo and Lisa Earle McLeod—Learn how to exhibit leadership as an individual contributor or SME by influencing, inspiring, mentoring, and motivating others.
- Improving Your Focus with Dave Crenshaw—Develop survival skills to avoid daily distractions, strengthen concentration, and protect your relationships, both at work and at home, by focusing on what’s most important.
- Giving and Receiving Feedback with Gemma Leigh Roberts—Learn how to give and receive high-quality feedback, whether it’s with peers, managers, colleagues, team members, friends, or family.
Hard skills to help you get promoted
Watch courses on the hottest hard skills professionals took to get promoted in 2020. These skills can help you get promoted in some of the most in-demand roles in today’s economy. Watch the one that’s right for you.
- Python for Data Science Essential Training with Lillian Pierson—Learn basic coding experience through a step-by-step practical data science project (a web scraper that downloads and analyzes data.)
- SQL Essential Training with Bill Weinman— Knowing how to code and manage relational databases and database-driven applications is a valuable skill for any career in tech. Learn how to use the core features of SQL: creating tables; defining relationships; manipulating strings; using triggers to automate actions; and using subselects and views.
- Project Management Simplified with Chris Croft—Learn the 12 steps to manage projects without creating a lot of extra overhead, as well as how to use traditional project management tools like Gantt charts and network diagrams.
- Project Management Foundations with Bonnie Biafore—Learn the fundamentals of project management, from establishing project goals and objectives and building a project plan to managing resources and work, meeting deadlines, and closing the project.
- Learning Kubernetes with Karthik Gaekwad—Learn how to get a Kubernetes environment up and running, deploy a sample Kubernetes application, and explore advanced topics like production deployments, monitoring and logging.
- DevOps Foundations with Ernest Mueller and James Wickett—get an overview of the DevOps movement, focusing on the core value of CAMS (culture, automation, measurement, and sharing), as well as various methodologies and tools an organization can adopt to transition into DevOps.
- Asking Great Sales Questions with Jeff Bloomfield—Learn how to gain insight into your customer’s business problems and objectives so you can ask great questions that create connection, drive credibility, create urgency, and validate the business impact of your solution.
- Learning Docker with Arthur Ulfeldt—Learn the basics of Docker, including its containers, Dockerfiles (or base images), and capabilities for networking, data management, infrastructure optimization.
- Cert Prep: Scrum Master with Kelley O’Connell—Master the foundational knowledge you need to study in order to pass exams such as Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), Professional Scrum Master (PSM), and more.
- Agile Foundations with Doug Rose—Learn the fundamental concepts to think like an agile team, including how to enhance communication with user stories and cross-functional teams, and how to respond to change the agile way.